Azure IoT Edge is a managed service that is built on the Azure IoT Hub. You can deploy Cloud workloads, which include Artificial Intelligence, Azure services, and your own custom business logic, to run on Internet of Things (IoT) Edge devices with the help of standard containers. In moving workloads to the edge of a network, devices will react quicker to local changes, spend less time communicating with the Cloud, and operate decently in offline periods.
Azure IoT Edge Tools for VS 2019 Extension
The Azure IoT Edge Tools extensions and tools make coding, building, deploying, and debugging IoT Edge solutions easier. Azure IoT Edge Tools provides the following functionalities:
- Targets different platforms, which include Linux amd64, Linux arm32v7, and Windows amd64
- Ability to add a new IoT Edge module to a C or C# solution
- Ability to edit, build, and debug IoT Edge modules locally
- Building and pushing docker images of IoT Edge modules
- Running of IoT Edge modules in a simulator
Installing Azure IoT Edge Tools for VS 2019
Use the next few steps to download, install, and use Azure IoT Edge Tools
- Navigate to https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vsc-iot.vs16iotedgetools.
- Click Download.
- Double-click the VSIX file to install it in Visual Studio 2019.
- If necessary, provide permission for this to install.
- You will be prompted by a screen similar to that in Figure 1.
Figure 1: VSIX Installer
Using the Extension
To use the extension, follow these steps:
- Open Visual Studio 2019.
- Select Create New Project.
- In the Search bar, type IoT Edge. The screen will resemble Figure 2.
Figure 2: Create new IoT Edge project
- Select the desired platform.
- Click Next.
- Supply the project details.
- Click Create.
- Select the Module type, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Module type
- The Solution Explorer will resemble Figure 4.
Figure 4: Solution Explorer
Although this was a quick introduction to the awesome Azure IoT Edge tools, you have learned what they are and how to start using them. The responsibility now rests on your shoulders to play around with it a bit. Hopefully, there will be a Part 2, but until, or when, that happens, play safe!
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...